Custody Modification & Enforcement

During the divorce process, everyone does their best to craft divorce terms that work under the current circumstances of both parties and their children. The hope and the intent is that those terms will work as everyone involved moves into the future.

Children grow and their needs change. The circumstances of the former spouses may change due to the economy or developments in their personal life. These changes may have been unforeseeable. It may also be the case that one of the parties to the divorce is not acting in accord with their responsibilities.

If either of these is the case, our Newport divorce and custody modification attorney can seek to rectify the situation through petitioning the Court to modify or enforce specific aspects of the divorce. Attorney Flanagan is a former Navy JAG officer and a former reserve law professor at the Navy Justice School where he taught family law. Attorney Flanagan has also taught as an adjunct professor at Salve Regina University in Newport, Rhode Island.

Contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation.

Modification of a Divorce Agreement or Order

You can seek to have the Court modify any of the terms of your divorce when there has been a change in circumstances that warrants the modification. The most common aspect of a divorce that is modified is child custody and visitation. Here the Court will use the best interests of the child as its guide in deciding whether or not to grant a modification.

Child relocation is another area that generates requests for modification for many people who are moving into or out of Rhode Island.

Enforcement of Divorce Terms

If your former spouse is failing to meet his or her obligations regarding the divorce, we can help you use the power of the Court to compel their compliance. Has your ex-spouse stopped paying child support? Has your former spouse failed to adhere to the visitation schedule?

Our experience in enforcement and modification can help ensure that your family has the resources and flexibility it needs as it continues to grow.

Contact Us About Your Case